 Robotics / Handy Board / 2116
RE: (no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 17:38:45 GMT

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Fred Cass wrote:
I would also be interested in hearing if there are any inexpensive
(<$500), easy to implement wireless comm solutions.  Perhaps
spreadspectrum 900mhz, or RF...

If anyone can find Proxim RXA-1000 radios (900 Mhz, Direct Sequence
Spread Spectrum), I wrote code for a Handyboard to program the
synthesizer.  You have to program two registers serially, and then
must program one of those registers each time you switch between
TX and RX.  The code I have is for Interactive C.

You can do up to 19.2 kbaud async through them, or 121 kbaud
synchronous (although I don't think the HC11 can do 121 kbaud
synchronous).

Old Intermec RF equipment has these radios in it.  I've seen them
at surplus places already.  They are circa 1990 or so.  They'll do
between 500mW and 1W.  Run on two voltages: 5V regulated and 5V-9V
unregulated DC.

The surplus Intermec stuff has been seen for about $50 per unit.
That'd be a cheap radio, but get extra in case you depend on the
radio and one breaks later (might be hard to find in the future).
Some of the units even come with an antenna and a short pigtail RF
cable.  The antenna connectors on the radios themselves are a pain.

Curt Mills, WE7U
Senior Methods Engineer/System Administrator
hacker@tc.fluke.com