 Robotics / Handy Board / 2118
Re: RF transmitters
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 19:29:12 GMT

On Thu, 8 May 1997, Randy Sargent wrote:

Keeping the "DC" content pretty much in the middle means we restricted
ourselves to sending bytes that had between 3 and 5 "1" bits set.
Surprisingly (to me), this still gave us 182 values per byte (out of the
original 256), and more suprisingly, meant that we had only a 6% loss of
bandwidth as compared to a channel with no restrictions (log base 2 of 256
is 8 bits, log base 2 of 182 is 7.5 bits)

A simple way to get rid of the DC component is to run the data through a
scrambler on the TX side, and descrambler on the RX side.  This has been
done successfully in 9600 baud amateur radio TNC's.  2 or 3 chips on
each end of the link is all it takes.  The circuit is relatively simple.
It can also be done inside a small FPGA chip (I've done it).

The same technique (but not necessarily the same circuit - not sure)
was used in the 56kbaud amateur radio modems.

Curt Mills, WE7U
Senior Methods Engineer/System Administrator
hacker@tc.fluke.com