 Robotics / Handy Board / 2014
2013  |  2015
Subject:
More Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:51:33 GMT

So what do you all think?  HandyBoard and InteractiveC, or 6mip 8051ish
thing with homegrown board?
Which do you think is easier, more expandable, more powerful?

If you're looking to move up in speed and functionality, let me recommend a
real 32-bit embedded processor, like the Motorola 68332.  They're not
expensive, and they have some quite amazing features.

Most folks don't run into performance problems with the 6811 and
Interactive C for typical robots today.  In my opinion, the most compelling
reason to move to higher performance is to be able to handle a new level of
processing tasks, such as vision processing.  This means moving to a 32-bit
processor.  Neither 6811 nor the 8051 have the horsepower or the memory
space to be able to handle reasonable vision processing.

-- Randy

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
Senior Design Engineer               Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/