 Robotics / Handy Board / 2015
RE: More Power
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 17:10:35 GMT

Randy said,
In my opinion, the most compelling
reason to move to higher performance is to be able to handle a new level of
processing tasks, such as vision processing.  This means moving to a 32-bit
processor.  Neither 6811 nor the 8051 have the horsepower or the memory
space to be able to handle reasonable vision processing.

This is actually something we plan on doing the second go round.  I've
had lots of experience with imaging in software (motion capture, finding
edges, filtering, etc., etc.), and my 'bud' (as Chuck refers to him) has
plenty of CCD and other imaging hardware experience.  So we figured
after we played with the 8 bit stuff for a while, and got used to the
issues involved with mobile robotics, we'd bring it up a level and do a
16 or 32bit vehicle with vision.

Thanks for everyone's posts so far.  Like I mentioned before, I've been
doing software forever, and I'm unfamiliar with the hardware available.
But now I'm getting a crash course in hardware thanks to you all.
-=Fred=-