 Robotics / Handy Board / 2007
2006  |  2008
Subject:
(no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 05:02:37 GMT

AN OPEN LETTER TO PROFESSORS JAKE MENDELSSOHN AND DAVID AHLGREN,
ESTEEMED FOUNDERS OF THE TRINITY COLLEGE FIRE-FIGHTING ROBOT COMPETITION.

Wed Apr 23 00:50:42 1997

Dear Jake and Dave,

Thank you for organizing such a fantastic robotic event.  It was my
great pleasure to have been an invited speaker at the fourth annual
Trinity College Fire-Fighting Robot Contest.  The event is more than a
contest; it is a meeting place for robot enthusiasts of all ages.  I
particularly enjoyed meeting the elementary school-aged children, and
their parents, many of whom I previously knew by e-mail only.

Now allow me to play the role of unsolicited trouble-maker, by making
some observations about the contest itself, and the types of robots it
encourages by the structure of the contest rules.  As I discussed in
my presentation, I believe that robotics is most interesting when the
robot is thought of as a creature-like entity rather than a machine
following a predetermined sequence of actions.  My robotic entry in
the contest (co-designed with Steve Ocko and Brian Silverman) tried to
embody this philosophy of robotics: it had a collection of behaviors,
all operating simultaneously, that attempted to perform the task of
putting out the candle's flame through their interactions, some
planned and some accidental.  For the record, our design did indeed
accomplish this goal, succeeding in two of the three official contest
runs.

On the surface, what was distinctive about our robot was that it was
the absolute *worst* of the robots that were successful in putting out
the candle.  That is, because our robot wandered around the playing
field in an organic fashion, it took lots longer than the others to
find the flame.  Our robot also hit the walls repeatedly, accruing
lots of penalty points, but even without the penalties, it was
squarely in last place of the successful robots.

However, our robot demonstrated two qualities that the contest should
encourage in other designs.  First, our robot was the only machine
(that I know of) that was designed to recover from errors.  In each of
our three runs, things went wrong and our robot struck the wall and
appeared to be stuck, but in all cases, our machine got itself unstuck
and continued along its merry way.  This was highly unusual---when
most other robots struck the wall, they were done for.

The other characteristic feature of our design that should be
encouraged is that we did not program the maze into our robot's head;
rather, we gave it a set of behaviors that would allow it to negotiate
*any* maze. (Well, sort of: our strategy was left-wall-following,
which if executed perfectly, would only bring us through three of the
four rooms in the contest maze.)

On the other hand, many if not nearly all of the other robots were
programmed with specific information about the specific maze they
would face, typically as a series of path segments, rotations, and
candle-searches.  While this may be a stout approach for the task at
hand, it does not generalize to other situations.  The puzzle you gave
us came with a map, but in any imaginable real-world situation, the
robot could not possibly have a map for all environments it would
encounter, especially since places populated by people are constantly
changing.

I would like to mention one other unusual robot, an entry in the
junior division by Jessica Anderson (Jessica was one of my students).
Jessica's design was particularly simple.  It had but three sensors: 2
touch sensors and one light sensor (for seeing the candle's flame).
The robot itself was a two-motor "turtle" design that carried a fan