 Robotics / Handy Board / 1988
Re: motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 09:15:54 GMT

Mar,

You might want to try attaching a small (0.1uF) capacitor to the motor
leads as close as possible to the motor.  Use a ceramic or monolithic
ceramic capacitor.  That might reduce the motor noise your sonar board
sees.  Also remember that even though you are using different power
supplies, they probably share the same ground.  Inexpensive toy motors
ofter generate the worst noise, and are the cause of all kinds of weird
behavior.

- Prabal

MAR ERICSON wrote:

Hi,

I have some motor trouble. I have two motors. I have a polaroid sonar.
When I run one of the motors, the sonar works. When I run the other motor,
the sonar's detected distance jumps arround randomly. The randomness seems
to be more at higher speeds. I tried using different motor ports but the
result is the same. One motor causes this erratic behavior, and the other
doesn't.
It's funny, cause the sonar and the motors and the HB are powered
seperately.
Has anyone experienced something like this?
Thanks for any input.  :)

-----------
ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

Prabal Dutta                               Tel:    (614) 299-2566
Digital Micro Systems, Corp.               FAX:    (614) 299-2939
PO Box 3579                                e-mail: prabal@dmsc.com
Columbus OH 43210-0579                     WWW:    http://www.dmsc.com