 Robotics / Handy Board / 1985
Re: motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 1997 22:41:26 GMT

I haven't had the same poblems, but I have a theory as to your problem.
There are two probabilities:
1) The motor is causing too much noise and is interfering with the
sonar, or
2)The motor is giving off electrical noise (i.e. electromagnetic waves)
which are interfering with the circuitry.
MAR ERICSON wrote:

Hi,

I have some motor trouble. I have two motors. I have a polaroid
sonar.
When I run one of the motors, the sonar works. When I run the other
motor,
the sonar's detected distance jumps arround randomly. The randomness
seems
to be more at higher speeds. I tried using different motor ports but
the
result is the same. One motor causes this erratic behavior, and the
other
doesn't.
It's funny, cause the sonar and the motors and the HB are powered
seperately.
Has anyone experienced something like this?
Thanks for any input.  :)

ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art