 Robotics / Handy Board / 1928
Re:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 22:59:17 GMT

Phil wrote:
I want to build a robot. More specifically, a robot that can
climb steps, and is <somewhat> tall. I mean, about 3 feet tall.

Now _this_ is a challenge. Presumably you've read the treatment on
step climbing robots in Marvin Weinsteins "Android Design"
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0810451921/1732-2400503-451439)
which is out of print but still in libraries.

It takes a _lot_ of energy to move up stairs. Basically you robot
has to be able to lift itself to the altitude at the top of the
stairs. My favorite solution to this is to provide a means of
augmenting the robot's power supply at the stairs. One way of
doing this is to provide a conductive track up the side of the
stairs that a whisker plug could touch. Then power up the conductive
the tracks and the robot plugs into the house current when it
is transiting the stairs.

There are a variety of devices designed to help people in wheel
chairs retrofit their houses with lifts. Providing a remote control
interface to such a lift reduces the problem to one of detecting
that the lift is not present, navigating on to the lift when it is
present, and then exiting the lift when it stops at the top of the
stairs.

An overhead line that a robot can attach a pulley system to which
allows it to float up the stairs. Unfortunately this makes it
tough for regular humans to use.

I believe Martin figured out that with two car batteries and 3.5'
of tank tread with a 12" rise in the front and back it could be done.

Just remember your physics. Your creating potential energy when
you move your mass to the top of the stairs. Ideal case is you
use exactly that much force, so shoot for using about 10x that
much force (10% efficient). Then figure out what sort of power
plant you need.

Its made easier by using off board power or chemical energy
reserves (ie LNG or Gasoline powered engine)

--Chuck

--
cmcmanis@netcom.com              http://www.professionals.com/~cmcmanis
All opinions in the non-included text above are the sole opinions of