 Robotics / Handy Board / 1923
1922  |  1924
Subject:
(no subject)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 19:51:15 GMT

Hi, fellow (ro)Botters!

Did anyone watch Scientific American Frontiers on Wednesday? If not, or even
if you did see it, check out www.pbs.org . PLEASE SEE IT! there's a lot of
good links, a complete transcript, and other goodies.

But now, onto my question.
I want to build a robot.
More specifically, a robot that can climb steps, and is <somewhat> tall. I
mean, about 3 feet tall. Maybe smaller, if design requires so. I realize
that the center of gravity may be a problem, but I've figured out how to get
over that one. My real problem is how to get up the steps. I've found 3 methods:
1. treads. I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS! my treaded robot I already made is so
energy inefficient!\

2. legs. A possibility, I guess.

3. tri-wheels. It looks good, but has anyone ever tried using them?
Tri-wheels are made like this. You need 12 wheels. Take 3 of them, and hook
gears up to the shafts. Find a motor that meshes with the gears. Mount these
into a triangular fashion, with the motor in the middle. When you run it,
normally, 2 wheels will be on the bottom. When the fromt wheel is hitting
something, the force, rather than pushing forward, will be applied to
turning the 3 wheels, so seebelow:

       2 3   ==>         2 3|  // wall

        1  ==>              2 1_|
       2 3 ==>               3|    //steps
Ando so on. Does anyone forsee any problems with this method, or have any
other ideas? Thank you, in advance.

phil
thehahns@nconnect.net
PS: sorry for such a long email!