 Robotics / Handy Board / 1877
Re: Sonar problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 05:49:24 GMT

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Sriram Tirunellayi wrote:

  Hi all,
         i just tested my polaroid sonar and it works great. Thanks to
Kent and Adam. BTW..with the BINH, iwas getting 1"...but when i removed
it as suggested by Chuck Manis (in some old mail)...it's reading the
correct distances.  So i guess the internal blanking interval of 2.38ms
is sufficient to detect obstacles and surfaces at distances above 17".
  Any suggestions for innovative mounting of the transducers??
                              Thanks
                              Sriram

You're more than welcome.  As for mounting:

I have found that custom cutting stainless steel brackets with a dremel
tool to be most effective.  Sturdy but flexible for purposes of fine
adjustment.  Basically it's a long tab that slides through both slots of
the xducer with a wide portion to stop the xducer from slipping off one
end and then bending the tab at the other end.  I'm going to try and post a
picture of by bot asap.

               -
              | | <---- slide thru both slots of xducer then bend tab.
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
              | |
           ---   ---
           ---------

P.S   Keith when u ftped the files were they in BINARY format ? i cant
think of any other reason...