 Robotics / Handy Board / 1630
Re: Re[2]: phone cord length
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:29:05 GMT

Sorry Fred, but I must respectfully disagree.....

Fred G. Martin wrote:
(snip)

BTW, while we're on the topic of serial and phone cords, please be
VERY CAREFUL when swapping phone cords.  The Handy Board requires a
telephone-style cord.  Many of us have network-style RJ11 cords lying
around our offices, which have a half twist in their wiring.

Actually it is phone cords which are the crossover type.  Use of a patch-
cord tester confirms this.  I am not familiar with any RJ11 network cables,
but I know that the standard line cord for a phone is a crossover cable.

Network-style RJ11 cables CANNOT, SHOULD NOT, and BETTER NOT be used
with Handy Boards.

This is still true, since the effect of using the wrong one is the same.

If you use a network style cable, you invert the power and ground
connections, which blows up the 47 ohm charge resistor on your serial
interface board, along with potential for greater damage.

Here is how you tell if you have a telephone-style or network-style
RJ11 cable. (snip)

You actually need to put the RJ11 plugs side by side, so they are oriented
the same way, to see whether they are straight through or crossover.  This
way you see wire color for pin 1 on each end and pin 2, pin 3, etc.

                 +-----------+        \
-----------------|black  ====|  Pin 1  \
-----------------|yellow ====|  Pin 4     \
                 +-----------+             \