 Robotics / Handy Board / 1244
Re: HB Downloader Trouble
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 20:42:53 GMT

Success on the first bootstrap download and failure to write into RAM
could easily be explained by a fault in the memory circuit.  The
memory circuit, which includes the 'hc373, the 'hc132, and the RAM
chip itself, with about 27 signals going to the 'hc11, is by far the
most complicated subsystem on the board, and any single problem
anywhere in the circuit will cause the memory to not work, leading to
the download error described.

It's tedious, but the way to debug this is to individually examine the
signals on the '373 and the ram chip using a scope or logic probe.
With the HB turned on (not in bootstrap mode -- just turn it on and
let it execute garbage), all of the appropriate signals (data bus,
address bus, R/W line, '373 clock line) should be oscillating.  If any
are disconnected or shorted to power or ground it should be easy to
see with the logic probe.

Then with an ohmmeter and the board turned off, check that there is
continuity where there is supposed to be (using the schematic as a
reference) and no shorts between address and data lines.

If you've got a spare memory chip and/or 'hc132 lying around, it's
easy enough to pop in replacements, but in my experience a bad chip is
rarely the problem; it's almost always bad wiring.

-Fred