 Robotics / Handy Board / 1171
Re: Assembling the HandyBoard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 04:00:07 GMT

4. Tried downloading pcode_hb.s19, using hdbl.  We got the message Wrong
port
    or board mode.
    Tried using dl in MS-DOS box:
    Using the floppy that came with the kit:
    Typed dl pcode_hb.s19 -port com2
    It time out on serial receive.
    Next, we used the beta version of ic and tried to dwon load the
bootstrap program.
    Still - no luck - I keep getting the message:
    Please press the reset button.
Should we continue and put the memory etc. on the board?

There is probably nothing wrong with your board (at least, that the
resistor won't fix), but you won't have any luck progressing until you
get a downloader working.

Try DLM.EXE from the hb software web page.  Give it the args "dlm
pcode_hb.s19 -port com2 -256" to make sure it uses the 256 byte
downloader required for the 'a1 chip.

does the green light on the serial board flash when dl attempts
download?  It should.

-Fred

I was getting similar behavior with my board.  It wasn't clear to me
that pins 2 and 3 in the serial cable from the PC to the interface
board should be switched.  Credit goes to Mike Ross for helping me figure
this out.

Once I switched these two pins, the downloader (dl) works as advirtised.
I suppose this means that you should use a null modem cable between the
PC and the interface board.  (I haven't tried that; I still have wires
on a breakout box doing the job.)

My diskette reads "Interactive-C v. 2.851, MS-DOS, Digital Micro Systems..."
If you have the same kit, you might be having the same problem.  So, if
you run out of ideas, try switching those pins.

By the way, I'm very happy with my kit from Digital Micro Systems.  I would
recommend buying from Prabal.  And I'll probably buy another one soon.

Byrom