 Robotics / Handy Board / 1169
Re: Assembling the HandyBoard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 04:19:44 GMT

A couple of things have not worked quite right:
1. Couldn't find the 2.2M resistor that should be put across the crystal.
However,
    the dc voltage at the 6811 E pin is 2.5V as required in the test
instructions 4.3.2.

You need that resistor to stabilize the crystal frequency.  Try Radio
Shack if it is missing from the kit.  It doesn't have to be 1/8 watt,
1/4 or 1/2 watt is fine, just make sure it is 2.2 megaohm.

2. We assemble the Serial Line and Stop Switch (4.4).
    The first part of the testing (4.4.2) went well: The BATT LED cycles on
and then off.
    The PWR LED turns off when the BATT LED turns off.
3. We connected the main board to I/C board through the phone cable.  The
HB
    goes into bootstrap mode - we turned it on while holding down the STOP
switch.
    The PWR & BATT LEDs came on for a moment and both turned off.

So far so good.

4. Tried downloading pcode_hb.s19, using hdbl.  We got the message Wrong
port
    or board mode.
    Tried using dl in MS-DOS box:
    Using the floppy that came with the kit:
    Typed dl pcode_hb.s19 -port com2
    It time out on serial receive.
    Next, we used the beta version of ic and tried to dwon load the
bootstrap program.
    Still - no luck - I keep getting the message:
    Please press the reset button.
Should we continue and put the memory etc. on the board?

There is probably nothing wrong with your board (at least, that the
resistor won't fix), but you won't have any luck progressing until you
get a downloader working.

Try DLM.EXE from the hb software web page.  Give it the args "dlm
pcode_hb.s19 -port com2 -256" to make sure it uses the 256 byte
downloader required for the 'a1 chip.

does the green light on the serial board flash when dl attempts
download?  It should.

-Fred