 Robotics / Events / 81
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 01:40:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.events, Todd Lehman writes:
In your mind, which issues brought up by/at MindFest are the most important
ones to carry on (that aren't covered already yet by online groups), or
which would you most like to see covered?

I ment issues in general, but the prelude to this discussion was someones
desire to discuss educational issues beyond the Mindfest event.

From my point of view and my area of interests the robotics threads are
structured fine. But if I think something should be added, I'll give my
feedback.

Interesting.  I wonder if that answer assumes that the scope of LUGNET is
static and limited to purely LEGO topics.

Well, yes..

It's true that LUGNET is highly LEGO-focused,

agreed.

but there's really no reason that there can't be a very
broad-based "educational topics/issues" group here so long as people would
congregate and benefit from such a group.

No argument here, but keep in mind LUGNET has a kind of momentum.  People know
it as a Lego focused group.  It's not know as an educational philosophy group.
Not that one can't discuss those things here, but people don't generally
gravitate here for that.

Although such a group could be considered off-topic from the realm of LEGO,
there are so many core values that LEGO and LEGO building have in common
with the drive to reinvent learning, teaching, and schooling (not even
particularly in the robotics areas) that it is probably a very natural fit,
and it's no coincidence that LEGO played a very major role at MindFest™.

Let me ask this thought; How much of the general public would think to come
here to discuss something like: How to restructure the educational system to
meet the needs of the next millenium.

Kinda broad for LUGNET, wouldn't you think?

Of course, a primarily LEGO-focused system such as LUGNET could never
attract as many educators as a similarly focused purely-education-based
system would (if one existed),

The point exectly.

but even if 0.001% of all the educators in
the world showed up, it would probably be enough to benefit them.  It
certainly seems as though there are several educators right here right now
itching to talk about all these sorts of issues.

You don't have to sell me I'm already a member of the choir. This is a great
sight for educators/students to know about.

Please don't take any of this as critisism. I think LUGNET folks would be happy
to have larger educational issues addressed here. But you may get some
complaints if it's at the expence of the more Lego minded.

--Todd

later
Rich