 Robotics / Events / 79
Re: Group to discuss Teaching Lego Robotics?? lugnet.robotics.teaching ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.events
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 23:25:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.events, "Richard Maynard" <rmaynard@netway.com> writes:

Aha -- Rich, thanks for stepping forward.  I wasn't there until the very
end of the meeting, so I missed your question, but I heard about it second-
or third-hand.  What was the answer to your question, and were you satisfied
by it?  What subset or subsets of people were/are you aiming to collect
together via a new focus group?  (Not disagreeing, just gathering data.)

Boy, It's almost a blur now. If I remember correctly, the discussion was
about setting up a forum to discuss various issues brought up by Mindfest and
its future.

In your mind, which issues brought up by/at MindFest are the most important
ones to carry on (that aren't covered already yet by online groups), or
which would you most like to see covered?

I suggested that LUGNET might be open to creating such a forum, but
it was pointed out, rightly so, that the context of Mindfest was much broader
than appropriate for LUGNET.

Interesting.  I wonder if that answer assumes that the scope of LUGNET is
static and limited to purely LEGO topics.  It's true that LUGNET is highly
LEGO-focused, but there's really no reason that there can't be a very
broad-based "educational topics/issues" group here so long as people would
congregate and benefit from such a group.

Although such a group could be considered off-topic from the realm of LEGO,
there are so many core values that LEGO and LEGO building have in common
with the drive to reinvent learning, teaching, and schooling (not even
particularly in the robotics areas) that it is probably a very natural fit,
and it's no coincidence that LEGO played a very major role at MindFest™.

Of course, a primarily LEGO-focused system such as LUGNET could never
attract as many educators as a similarly focused purely-education-based
system would (if one existed), but even if 0.001% of all the educators in
the world showed up, it would probably be enough to benefit them.  It
certainly seems as though there are several educators right here right now
itching to talk about all these sorts of issues.

Another example, BTW, of a not-purely-LEGO group here is the Handy Board
newsgroup,

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/handyboard/

which is gatewayed with the Handy Board mailing list at MIT,

   http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/maillist/

and consists of ~7000 messages, only a relatively small percentage of which
mention LEGO or LEGO MINDSTORMS.  But it is expected over time that by the
joining of the Handy Board list with LUGNET, good types of cross-pollination
between the groups will occur -- a win-win for all.

So while LUGNET is primiarily about LEGO®, it is also about values and value
systems -- having fun, learning, exploring, thinking, collaborating,
creating, socializing, and so forth.  When those involve LEGO, that's when
things get the most interesting.  :)

--Todd