 Robotics / 9954
RE: RCX speaks ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:36:02 GMT

Hi,

I was planning on porting speak over to legOS, but unfortunately, with 32K,
it doesnt leave much room to have the phonemes in memory let along a few of
them.  Each .au file is about 3-4K some bigger.  Anyone else have any
ideas???

Ram

I do not know if this helps much, but the original MacinTalk (used to make
the Mac128K say "Hello!" at the "1984 is not going to be like 1984"
presentation by Steve Jobs) was a quite small program. I am not sure if it
was like 7-8k or 14-15k, but I believe it was something like that. Of
course, it did not use samples, but some kind of simulation of the human
vocal tract, I believe. I still thinks it was very good, not only for its
era and running on such a limited hardware (at least in our contemporary
eyes..) but also compared to much larger and demanding speech systems. I
made a small HyperCard stack in 1987 to read Winnie-the-Pooh, and it was
quite reasonable in English (a little American, though, when speaking
Swedish..).

Unfortunately, this code was not to my knowledge released as open source,
but maybe if you look around at speech research sites, you may find some
source with comparable performance which can fit in 32K. If you find
anything and port, please let us know...

- kjell