 Robotics / 9793
SV: Sensor Project Book Scans
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 01:08:32 GMT

I have uploaded my scans of the Sensor Projects Book from Radio Shack to
my website.
I'd suggest removing them. Not only is it illegal,

Copying for private use, or for some friends is not illegal, although some
people want to make it illegal. Like publishers who have a stake in such
matters.
Writers usually have less interest because they are not the ones living on their
creations, or get the largests part of the earnings. Of course software is an
exception
to this rule, it is always illegal to copy except for backup. The problem with
putting stuff
on the net is that it is not to a limited group.

but the book only
costs $1.50 or so, is available all over the US, and in my opinion
Forrest Mims deserves the royalties: he's arguably done more for hobby
electronics than anyone else.

If the book only costs $ 1.50 then I suspect he gets no royalties. In fact it
sounds like the only one making money on it is the post-office who
gets paid for distributing the packages. On an ecological level I think
it is an higher moral to put it on the net even if it is not legal, rather than
wasting
forest and fuel. On the other hand if he gets royalties he surely deserves
the little he gets for making such a cheap book.

And of course the book MAY be available in the rest of the world, or not. It
looks
like a good book. But if it is not, then the rest of the world has made a loss.
(This
group actually is very international.)

Personally I think that copyright is an area were the consumers interests are
considered
last. As they say: when making a book - copying one book is considered immoral,
but
copying ten books is good business practise.

Jari