 Robotics / 9679
Re: "Quotes" [meta]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:14:32 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, jonesj5@ocps.k12.fl.us (James C. Jones) writes:
Personally, I prefer having all the quotes intact - reminds me what, when
and where we are in the discussion.

"happy as a clam" with Lugnet!

James, just a small nit to pick to clarify a common misperception...  :)

I can't be 100% sure what you mean by "'happy as a clam' with Lugnet!'", but
in the context of the message above, I take it to mean that you believe you
are using Lugnet when you post.  Actually, you're not; you're posting to
something external to Lugnet which in turn forwards your messages to Lugnet
through a gateway.  (You're actually 2 steps away from the newsgroup.)

More details...

messages to its recipients, one of which is the lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
mailing list, which in turn directs your message straight into the
lugnet.robotics newsgroup.

The converse is that all posts to the lugnet.robotics newsgroup and to the
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com mailing list in turn are sent to the

So in other words, although your messages appear on lugnet.robotics, and you
can read messages that people post to lugnet.robotics, the mailing list you
are using is not actually part of the lugnet discussion group system per se;
it's served from a completely different server.

Additionally, the mailing list you're on doesn't support crossposting to
other lugnet discussion groups via email, or digests, as the
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com mailing list does.

Here's some additional background info:

   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=4269
   http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=9116
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/raw.cgi?lugnet.robotics:9116

The two-way message-exchange gateway between lego-robotics@crynwr.com and
lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com was established in November of 1998.

If you wanted to be only 1 step away from the newsgroup (instead of 2), I
would recommend unsubscribing from the lego-robotics@crynwr.com mailing list

...which will give you Digests and Crossposting via email.  And of course,
if you wanted to be only 0 steps away from the newsgroup, I would recommend
subscribing to it directly via NNTP:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/               (general info)

   news://lugnet.com/lugnet.robotics         (default NNTP port)
   news://lugnet.com:1119/lugnet.robotics    (alternate NNTP port)
   news://lugnet.com:8000/lugnet.robotics    (alternate NNTP port)
   news://lugnet.com:8080/lugnet.robotics    (alternate NNTP port)

Hope this helps clear up any confusion!

--Todd

p.s.  BTW, the "Handy Board" mailing list at MIT is also gatewayed with the
lugnet.robotics.handyboard newsgroup (since September of 1999).  Over
time, Fred Martin (Handy Board's creator and maintainer of the Handy Board
list) has been migrating people away from the MIT server and to the lugnet
newsgroup directly and/or to the lugnet.robotics.handyboard@lugnet.com
mailing list, which offers more than the old mailing list at MIT.  So far,
94 people have abandoned the old HB mailing list and moved to the new HB
mailing list, and still more have chosen pure HB newsgroup access via NNTP
or web access via HTTP.