 Robotics / 9476
Re: New sensors from Pitsco-Dacta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, "Pink Tail" <pinkmice@borg.com> writes:
Wow! You're not kidding. I thought my $40 designs were a bit
over the top (1/3 cost of basic RCX) but $128 is crazy. If people
really are going to pay these prices, then maybe we should make
lego specific devices more accessible.

How much interest is there out there for these more exotic sensors
built specifically for RCX use?
I think the question is how much the sensor does for the money. I have just
finished a design for a line tracker sensor, that cost a lot to develop (half
a dozen prototypes, and a couple of tiny PCB's), but the cost to build would
only be a very few dollars (the most expensive bits would be the PCB's).
However in a production enviroment I would expect these to only cost a very
few dollars. I would probably accept a price of 128 dollars, for an absolute
location sensor (X/Y position), but it would have to be very sophisticated,
and do something that cannot be acheived by an easier method...

Best Wishes