 Robotics / 9292
  Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

I haven't looked at programming the RCX with Visual Basic or other MS Win languages via the spirit.ocx control, but someone (sorry -- I'm terrible with remembering names!) at the NELUG meeting asked me why people seem to like NQC when they could be (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

(...) Correct. IMHO, calling this "programming the RCX in VB" is very misleading. None of the familiar VB features (variables, control structures, etc) will run on the RCX. For example, in order to construct an "if" statment, you don't use the VB (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

(...) Not at all. I doubt that LEGO would depart too far from their opcode protocols when writing their SDK, especially as it's designed for advanced users, and the syntax of the language seems to mirror assembly. From what I've seen, the Spirit OCX (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

(...) My biggest gripe about spirit is that it is only available for Win32. If it had also been available on Mac and Linux I would've layered NQC on top of it and never had to create a non "LEGO sanctioned" interface to the RCX. Actually, TLG now (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

(...) Certainly; and it's in their best interest, too. And anything that elicits formal recognition from LEGO - even if in a slightly backhanded way like this - is worthy of respect, given their past and as-yet-still-current policy of not (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)