 Robotics / 9206
RE: The "Which Set Should I Buy" FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 00:33:11 GMT

A copy of the thick white gear is included in 9747. What do you
do with two of them?

You announce to the list that you have a spare one, and you will get your mail
box filled with e-mail from friendly people that are willing to solve your
dilemma by giving you their address and sending a check for the postage :-)

To the best of my knowledge, the Scout has two, RIS 1.5 has one, and the motor
kit has one of these gears. You can potentially use as many as you have motors.
You use it in a drivetrain that can stall, and where you don't want to use
sensors to detect the condition. For example, you want to build a real dumb
"avoid the obstacles" robot. The standard RIS design uses a bumper with a touch
sensor. Once hit, you back up, and turn, then continue. If you don't want to use
a bumper, you can use a clutch gear instead. Drive forward for a minute, then
back up, turn, and drive forward again. If you hit something, your robot will
simply stall until the minute is up. Or use it with a rotation sensor to detect
a stall. I used this in a Merry-go-round for example. If the rotating platform
gets jammed (little fingers getting in the way for example), the clutch disk
limits the force, and prevents the motor from stalling. The RCX now detects that
the rotation sensor doesn't change it's value anymore, and can shut down the
motor.

The alternative is to use a pair of pulleys with a rubber band. I prefer the
white gear. It's more compact, and more reliable.

Tilman