 Robotics / 9099
RE: mailing list options (was: Re: sensors)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 02:41:53 GMT

Ok, I had a whole long message written up that was almost exactly the same
as what Richard wrote so I deleted that and now here is the question that I
think still needs to be answered.  If I drop my mail feed from crynwr and
move over to lugnet (which is what I assume Todd would rather have us do
anyway) and then subscribe to the whole .robotics.xxx tree, will I get a
bunch of copies of cross-posted messages or is the lugnet server smart
enough not to do that to me.  This is make it or break it for me, the last
thing I want to do is try to weed out duplicates.
If there are no cross-posted duplicates then my only remaining reservation
about having many sub-groups is that I don't like having to torment over
whether self-appointed topic cops will decide that my posts are in the wrong
group.  Its not really that I care what they think so much as I hate to
start a 50 post argument of what is and isn't on-topic.

As for when it is appropriate to create sub-groups, in my opinion the only
good reason for creating sub-groups is because volume is too high in the
group you are looking to split.  In my opinion the volume in .robotics is
not that high right now (and it seems lower than it used to be).

JT