 Robotics / 9086
Re: "Caster Wheel" design ideas??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:20:45 GMT

Wish I had a photo for you ...

I do have one reference from the old Constructopedia, at
http://home.ici.net/~wordsmth/construct/images/cs10-26-special_features.jpg
.

Castors are fairly simple; what makes them somewhat challenging is the
height required for mounting. Generally my castored ’bots use a build-out
from the top of the RCX, where the RCX forms the central "body" of the
robot.

Normally I mount an axle vertically, and do a build-out with a single small
wheel on a 4x shaft, flanked by a 3-stud wide set of "forks," just like one
would find on a bicycle.

I prefer to use a symmetrical arrangement, rather than the
slightly-off-center castors shown in the C-Pedia. There's actually a lot of
possibility for variation in appearance, design. You'll also find some ideas
on Page 17 of Fred Martin's "The Art of Lego Design," which you can get at
ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/people/fredm/artoflego.pdf .

P.S.: Once you know the answer--make 'em figure it out.

--Doug Wilcox

WordSmith Digital Document Services
403 VFW Drive
Rockland, MA 02370

781-871-6162
fax 781-871-6264
http://www.wordsmithdigital.com/mindstorms/
ICQ# 24868783

- Web design (including e-commerce)
- Searchable Digital Documents on CD
- Desktop Publishing - Design - Scanning
- Computer/Software Consulting (Technical Wizardry)
- Computer Demons Exorcised
- Officially Registered in Dogbert's New Ruling Class