 Robotics / 9062
    RCX Output —Avery, Amos E.
   (...) Can anyone confirm the output characteristics of the RCX? It is my understanding that PWM is used to control RC servos and not to power them. Has anyone put a scope on the RCX's outputs to see what they look like? If the info is available, I'd (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Output —Nick Taylor
     Hi F'Amos, I just now put a scope on the motor output ran an NQC motor test program. At OUT_FULL the motor output is about +7V DC. At OUT_LOW the motor output is a pulse train of 1ms 7V pulses at about 125Hz. The low level depends on the motor load (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Output —Joel Shafer
   So if you need a 1, 1.5 & 2ms pulse for controlling a servo and you said the low setting in NQC = a 1ms pulse, are there other matching motor speed settings to get a 1.5 or 2ms pulse? (...) Joel Shafer joel@connect.net (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Output —Nick Taylor
     Hello Joel, Attempting to drive an RC servo directly from the RCX is NOT a good idea! The servo is a three wire device; +4.8V to +6.0V for power (usually the red wire), an approximately 40Hz pulse train of 1.0 to 2.0ms pulses at 0V and +5V logic (...) (25 years ago, 15-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Output —Dave Baum
   (...) The pulses are 1ms, 2ms, 3ms....7ms, 8ms. The 8ms case is sort of a degenerate case since the period itself is 8ms, so an 8ms pulse winds up being continuous power. Dave Baum (25 years ago, 16-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics)