 Robotics / 8836
Re: Drift Correction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 23:06:53 GMT

dave madden wrote:
Perhaps you can achieve greater accuracy by running the two axles
through a differential driven backwards (with respect to the way it's
usually operated) and take the difference signal off the body of the
differential.  Gear that up so that a small difference in wheel
rotation speeds turns into a large CW or CCW rotation on an axle, and
run that axle into a single rotation sensor.  Then, use the sensor
output to determine when to adjust motor speeds.  (I think this works
in theory, but suspect that LEGO(r) gears are too sloppy to make this
really practical.)

I used this approach once - and with success. The gears are a bit sloppy
and the rotation sensor only measures descrete angles. Anyway it worked
for me.

Jacob

--
/* Our e-mail addresses have changed.  anne.jacob@get2net is only for
messages which are ment for both of us. Anne's mail should be sent to