 Robotics / 8661
Re: lego controlled Blimb
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:26:32 GMT

"Reimer Mellin" <davmel@primenet.com> wrote in message
news:FM0v13.FJJ@lugnet.com...
I came across this 'Remote-Controlled Indoor Triple-Turbo Blimp' for $90.

http://www.hammacher.com/DefaultPage/default.asp?ContentPage=/publish/77448.
htm

What do you guys think in terms of RCX applications? E.g. you could build • a
Lego bot for the remote control, therefore enabling the blimb to be • steered
by the RCX. What about a X10 cam onboard the blimb? A PC prog could do • some
simple image processing and send position estimates and move commands to • the
RCX operating the (manual) remote control.

I assume the blimp will have neutral buoyancy, e.g. no weight in the
standard configuration. Any extra weight will have to be pushed up by the
propellors. That won't work if the camera weighs more than a few grams.
So, if you want it to carry something extra you'll have to reduce the weight
(not easy) or increase the volume of helium by adding extra gas-bags or
replacing the bag by something larger. By then you're practically rebuilding
the thing.
You could gain a little bit of buoyancy by replacing the helium with
hydrogen. A lot cheaper than helium too. Don't forget what happened to the
Hindenburg though.... Work outside and be careful. BTW, lithium batteries
don't come cheap either.

I really like the idea of a flying 'bot, and a relatively slow-moving
solution like the blimp does seem a good idea. I'm just afraid it'll take a
lot more work than just adapting this thing.

Arjen

Cheers
    Reimer