 Robotics / 8660
Re: lego controlled Blimp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:24:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mark Sullivan writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Reimer Mellin writes:
I came across this 'Remote-Controlled Indoor Triple-Turbo Blimp' for $90.

http://www.hammacher.com/DefaultPage/default.asp?ContentPage=/publish/77448.
htm

What do you guys think in terms of RCX applications? E.g. you could build a
Lego bot for the remote control, therefore enabling the blimb to be steered
by the RCX. What about a X10 cam onboard the blimb? A PC prog could do some
simple image processing and send position estimates and move commands to the
RCX operating the (manual) remote control.

Heh, I've had the same idea bouncing around my head for the past few days.  I
have a Blimp (only two fans though) and a Saucer already.  Great fun for blimp
races and so on.  Quick tip, you can find more RC blimp stuff from the source:

http://www.plantraco.com

The thing that I've balked on is the weight issue.  Mounting any kind of • camera
on the blimp will be quite challenging as the thing is near neutral boyancy as
is... And I believe the x10 cam is "wireless" but still needs to be attached • to
a very heavy transmitter.

Ahh, I spoke too soon.  Digging into the plantraco.com pages, I found that the
new tri-fan can lift up to 90 grams (I've got the old two-fan).  They even list
a wireless b/w cam on the order page (coming soon).

Good luck,
-mark

Cheers
   Reimer