 Robotics / 8647
Re: IR scanner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 16:38:31 GMT

Jim Thomas <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:BFBCB00A4D7BD211A9BB0000D11BAFAE26A829@mbsp05.sp.TRW.COM...
There is the classic Polaroid ultrasonic range finder.  I think someone • here
was working on one of these or similar for lego?  They work on the • reflected
signal approach.  Now I thought you wanted to do off board triangulation.
You can accomplish that using a omni-directional source on the robot and
three sensors around the room hooked up to your PC.  You might need custom
acquisition hardware or else the PC might have a ton of data to wade
through.

How about several (>= 3) light sources in an otherwise dimly lit room, and
the robot tracking them with a light sensor mounted on a tower whose
rotation is measured by a rotational sensor?

The light sensor on the robot would have to be made very directional (large
tube in front of it) but surely this method would call for only 1 light
sensor to be used...

Same for finding one's way to a 'beacon' - 2 light about a meter apart, the
robot would find the midpoint (by rotating the light sensor constantly and
noting the brightest points, then calculating their midpoint) and approach
it, when it drives between the lights (i.e. the angle between them as seen
from the light sensor is >=180) then it would know it has reached it's goal.

Is this the case, or am I spouting rubbish?

Also related to this, is how would one make the robot turn an exact angle?

JT

Kornel Lambert (Email: kornel@black-hole.co.uk) (Mobile: 0780 885 3178)
               (Phone: 0181 408 0796) (PGP Key: www.kornel.com/pgp.asc)
               (Email-to-Pager: pager@kornel.com) (Web: www.kornel.com)