 Robotics / 8640
8639  |  8641
Subject:
Ultrasonic range finder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:45:10 GMT

I'm interested in "ultrasonic range finder" type of sensors.

One that can return a rough raw value that can be converted into a distance
(from the sensor to an object in front of it) would be great.

By rotating it, and coupled with an angle sensor (or CM's tachometer) one
could do a "radar".

I'm trying to do a... well... *mechanical* "radar" using this kind of
rotation aprouch. I have to use a light flexible plastic with a touch
sensor in it's base.
This plastic "stick" detects any fixed or moving object by touching it, and
using the angle I can guess in what direction this object is (and how far
it is = length of the stick) Because it's *flexible* it doesn't get stuck
in the object it self.

...but, a "ultrasonic range finder" would be much better, of course.

Marco C. aka McViper