 Robotics / 860
859  |  861
Subject:
Left and right axles rotating at same speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 30 Nov 1998 06:53:28 GMT

In regard to propelling a robot with both the left and right axles
turning at the same speed (or, moving in a straight line):

Perhaps this was already suggested, but if not, here is another
solution that uses only one differential and two motors, and thus
works when restricted to the basic MindStorms pieces.

1.  If we connect the output of motor A to the left axle of the
differential and somehow ensure that the differential housing cannot
turn, then the right axle will rotate at exactly the same speed as the
left, only in the opposite direction.  By adding a few gears here and
there, we can reverse the direction of the right axle so that it is
the same as the left.  Thus we can move in a straight line (or at
least the two axles will rotate at the same speed).

2.  Let's assume that in step 1 we managed to prevent the differential
housing from turning by connecting the housing's main gear to the
ouput of motor B, which was off.  Now if we turn on motor B while
motor A is running and rotate the differential housing at the exact
same speed and direction as the axle that is connected to motor A,
suddenly the whole differential (the housing and both axles) is
turning as a single unit.  Since we reversed the output of the right
axle in step 1, the wheels will rotate in opposite directions.  Thus
we can turn the robot about its center.

I've tried this and it works.  The only modification I had to make to
the "theoretical" proposition above is that instead of leaving motor B
off while propelling the robot forward, I had to oppose the
differential housing's direction of rotation to ovecome its tendency
to turn.  Setting motor B's power to 1 did the trick of locking the
housing in place.

--Denzel Beachnut