 Robotics / 8599
RE: Transmitting Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:57:56 GMT

I am in the final stages of integrating the X10 video cam with a mindstorms
robot that runs about the house. I have adapted the X10 camera to run off of
a large Lego battery box instead of a having the cam plugged in. The X10
camera sends video to the X10 receiver in real time and can be routed
through your computer (with appropriate video capture hardware/software). I
will have more details on my website this week (time willing). Trying to run
video through the mindstorms IR link would be the hardest way to send video
IMHO.

Rich Thompson
http://www.marsrobot.com

-----Original Message-----
From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway@lugnet.com]On Behalf
Of Marco C.
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 4:43 AM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: Transmitting Pictures

At 08:05 29-11-1999 GMT, you wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, gombos@ne.infi.net writes:
Does anybody know if you can send pictures over the IR link from a
webcam or something like it?

Of course you can! If there's a will, there's a way! :-)

Seriously, it is possible to send any kind of data via the IR link, but it • will
be VERY slow! Not at all useful for anything even remotely close to
real-time...

There is another problem also: how to interface the webcam with the RCX? I
don't see any way of doing that...

Practical solutions are:
- let the robot carry the webcam with a long cable to the PC...
- have a laptop on the robot, and attach the webcam to it; maybe use a
wireless network to link the laptop to a PC...
Use the XCam Kit  ? (www.x10.com)
The wireless (2.4GHz) receiver attached to your *video*-card's *video-in*.
I think the wireless transmitter is mains based, but, one could get a way
to work out of batteries.

I'm waiting for an european version of it, for my LEGObots+WirelessCam
projects.

Marco C. aka McViper