 Robotics / 8597
Re: Transmitting Pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:42:49 GMT

At 08:05 29-11-1999 GMT, you wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, gombos@ne.infi.net writes:
Does anybody know if you can send pictures over the IR link from a
webcam or something like it?

Of course you can! If there's a will, there's a way! :-)

Seriously, it is possible to send any kind of data via the IR link, but it • will
be VERY slow! Not at all useful for anything even remotely close to
real-time...

There is another problem also: how to interface the webcam with the RCX? I
don't see any way of doing that...

Practical solutions are:
- let the robot carry the webcam with a long cable to the PC...
- have a laptop on the robot, and attach the webcam to it; maybe use a
wireless network to link the laptop to a PC...
Use the XCam Kit  ? (www.x10.com)
The wireless (2.4GHz) receiver attached to your *video*-card's *video-in*.
I think the wireless transmitter is mains based, but, one could get a way
to work out of batteries.

I'm waiting for an european version of it, for my LEGObots+WirelessCam
projects.

Marco C. aka McViper