 Robotics / 8564
Re: Lead warning for people who solder (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 22:16:46 GMT

It ain't directly lego related but what the hey...;)

----- Forwarded message from Brian Connors -----

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:37:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Connors <connorbd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lead warning for people who solder (fwd)

I assume that's roughly the same as with mercury
amalgam as used by dentists, then. Not too much
mercury leaches out of the average filling, despite
what some are convinced. (Of course, IANAD(entist),
but that's how I hear it...)

[ An amalgam is different than a eutectic but the bonding is pretty strong
  and the chances of getting a worrysome does is pretty low. Of course you
  can always go in each year and have yourself tested for heavy metal
  poisoning. ]

Really? I thought it was more a problem for the upper
classes, thus blaming the amphorae (the lower classes
would have drunk out of skins, IIRC).

[ Everybody in Rome and most other cities fed by the aquaducts got their
  water the same way. The real distinction was whether you went down to
  the community watering hole or had it piped right into the house - the
  more afluent had running water in the home. The Romans had a very hight
  level of hydrodynamic skills. As to amphora, they were clay based and I've
  never seen or heard of a lined one. Usualy they were used to transport
  wine (which is acidic and would leach lead) and other liquids. Very rarely
  for water except perhaps for overland treks. ]

[ Spend your time and money worrying about the
paints and plastics. ]

I sorta figured that went without saying...

[ And don't forget the arsenic in Peach pits is a constant threat...]

----- End of forwarded message from Brian Connors -----

           The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full
           of passionate intensity.

                                               W.B. Yeats

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087