 Robotics / 8563
Re: Lead warning for people who solder (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:37:21 GMT

--- Jim Choate <ravage@ssz.com> wrote:

----- Forwarded message from Brian Connors -----

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:25:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Connors <connorbd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lead warning for people who solder

--- Mark Geddes <mark@AudeSi.com> wrote:
I noticed a lot of people are making homemade
electronic Lego projects. I
just thought I'd warn everyone of the dangers of
lead based solder. Even

Ummmm... lead is lead, and I think most of us know
it's not too good for you. But what else are you
going
to use? I hear lately a lot of people aren't too hot
on silver solder, and if you're playing with
electronics you're probably aware of the risk to
begin
with.

[ Indium solder if you can deal with the higher
melting point. The actual
  danger from lead based rosin core solder is
minimum. It's pretty tightly
  bound to the tin forming a eutectic. The history
of professional
  electronics technicians and engineers getting lead
poising is minimum and
  it's very commen for them to hold short pieces in
their mouth while
  handling components. ]

I assume that's roughly the same as with mercury
amalgam as used by dentists, then. Not too much
mercury leaches out of the average filling, despite
what some are convinced. (Of course, IANAD(entist),
but that's how I hear it...)

They say lead-lined wine jars helped to bring down
the
Roman Empire. I can believe it, given all the mad
emperors Rome had. And I certainly wouldn't be
installing lead water pipes in my house. But
sometimes
it's the tool for the job.

[ It was in fact the lead water pipes they used to
distribute the water from
  the aquaducts. ]

Really? I thought it was more a problem for the upper
classes, thus blaming the amphorae (the lower classes
would have drunk out of skins, IIRC).

This isn't to say lead can't be used safely, but
people should respect it.

This should be common sense to anybody, really.
Though
I would go as far as saying that despite the
suspected
inferiority of non-lead based solders, maybe using
silver solder exclusively is a better choice when
you've got kids who might be getting into your
workshop...

[ Spend your time and money worrying about the
paints and plastics. ]

I sorta figured that went without saying...

/Brian

=====