 Robotics / 8562
Re: Lead warning for people who solder (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:55:54 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Brian Connors -----

Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:25:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Brian Connors <connorbd@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Lead warning for people who solder

--- Mark Geddes <mark@AudeSi.com> wrote:
I noticed a lot of people are making homemade
electronic Lego projects. I
just thought I'd warn everyone of the dangers of
lead based solder. Even

Ummmm... lead is lead, and I think most of us know
it's not too good for you. But what else are you going
to use? I hear lately a lot of people aren't too hot
on silver solder, and if you're playing with
electronics you're probably aware of the risk to begin
with.

[ Indium solder if you can deal with the higher melting point. The actual
  danger from lead based rosin core solder is minimum. It's pretty tightly
  bound to the tin forming a eutectic. The history of professional
  electronics technicians and engineers getting lead poising is minimum and
  it's very commen for them to hold short pieces in their mouth while
  handling components. ]

They say lead-lined wine jars helped to bring down the
Roman Empire. I can believe it, given all the mad
emperors Rome had. And I certainly wouldn't be
installing lead water pipes in my house. But sometimes
it's the tool for the job.

[ It was in fact the lead water pipes they used to distribute the water from
  the aquaducts. ]

This isn't to say lead can't be used safely, but
people should respect it.

This should be common sense to anybody, really. Though
I would go as far as saying that despite the suspected
inferiority of non-lead based solders, maybe using
silver solder exclusively is a better choice when
you've got kids who might be getting into your
workshop...

[ Spend your time and money worrying about the paints and plastics. ]

----- End of forwarded message from Brian Connors -----

           The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full
           of passionate intensity.

                                               W.B. Yeats

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087