 Robotics / 8561
Re: Lead warning for people who solder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:25:30 GMT

--- Mark Geddes <mark@AudeSi.com> wrote:
I noticed a lot of people are making homemade
electronic Lego projects. I
just thought I'd warn everyone of the dangers of
lead based solder. Even

Ummmm... lead is lead, and I think most of us know
it's not too good for you. But what else are you going
to use? I hear lately a lot of people aren't too hot
on silver solder, and if you're playing with
electronics you're probably aware of the risk to begin
with.

They say lead-lined wine jars helped to bring down the
Roman Empire. I can believe it, given all the mad
emperors Rome had. And I certainly wouldn't be
installing lead water pipes in my house. But sometimes
it's the tool for the job.

This isn't to say lead can't be used safely, but
people should respect it.

This should be common sense to anybody, really. Though
I would go as far as saying that despite the suspected
inferiority of non-lead based solders, maybe using
silver solder exclusively is a better choice when
you've got kids who might be getting into your
workshop...

/Brian

=====