 Robotics / 8559
8558  |  8560
Subject:
Lead warning for people who solder
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:11:35 GMT

I noticed a lot of people are making homemade electronic Lego projects. I
just thought I'd warn everyone of the dangers of lead based solder. Even
though it can be absorbed through the skin, most people poison themselves by
not thoroughly washing after soldering and then they ingest it by either
touching their food, or cigarettes. It's pretty nasty stuff, mainly because
it appears to be so harmless. So don't forget to clean any project that
children may be playing with, because they are damaged by lead significantly
more then adults are.

I often think back on my high school electronics lab, complete with acid
core solder, and asbestos lab benches - and that was in the early 80's.

This isn't to say lead can't be used safely, but people should respect it.

Mark Geddes