 Robotics / 8424
  Homebrew rotation sensor idea

Hi All, New guy here (some background below, if you're interested), been lurking for a week or so, and I'm off to buy my 1st Mindstorms set as soon as Toys 'R Us opens this morning...they have both 1.0 and 1.5 on the shelf, I'll be getting 1.0 after (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Homebrew rotation sensor idea

Excellent idea! I'd suspect that the relationship would be sinusoidal rather than linear, but who knows? If it is, it's a sine/cosine generator, too. Sone LEDs (laser diodes, don't know about others) are polarized in some specific plane. It is (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Homebrew rotation sensor idea

Welcome aboard, Dave (and David). Sounds like a pretty good idea, but one caveats: if you plan on using the standard light sensor, be aware that it does not (in my experience) give constant readings: i.e., point it at a spot on a wall and let it (...) (25 years ago, 21-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Homebrew rotation sensor idea

I learned that general-purpose LEDs are NOT polarized. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Homebrew rotation sensor idea

I'd also suspect this, having worked at a company that manufactured optical encoders, most of these things are sinusoidal. That is far from a bad thing though. If you build two of these and get them 90 degrees apart so you are seeing both a sine and (...) (25 years ago, 23-Nov-99, to lugnet.robotics)