 Robotics / 8358
Re: FW: idea for firmware development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Sergey Udovenko writes:
But, do we really need yet another LEGO firmware? ;) • Then Vlad wrote:
The only advantage I can see right now is if the pbForth implementation • would
be smaller, and thus one would have more space for the applications... but
there may be others too!

Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting, but I want through a similar
phase in actual Technic construction. If only I had this or that part
then I could build X. In software it's the same thing. If I had 256K
of RAM and  floating point processor, I could do neural nets.....well
the RCX has VERY limited processor power and RAM. I still
think it's an amazing little brick and challenge anyone to build
and program a practical bot that uses all of the memory.

I think I did not express myself well enough. I meant that implementing a
standard firmware emulator in pbForth would be interesting if that
implementation would give more space for user programs than the standard one.
Or if the bytecode could be extended while still being able to run regular
programs...

I know what you mean about the "more memory! my horse for more memory!" problem
:-) Actually, the biggest problem for the standard firmware is that the data
memory area is so small (64 bytes is not much) and that there's no stack.
Otherwise, it is not easy to use all of the 6k of the code area...

/Vlad