 Robotics / 8315
FW: idea for firmware development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:13:27 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Sergey Udovenko writes:
IMO, pbForth is one of the most ready platform to implement such an emulation
on top of it. Implementation could be easy, compact and quite extensible.

But, do we really need yet another LEGO firmware? ;)

Then Vlad wrote:

Well, I think it would be an interesting exercise in programming...

The only advantage I can see right now is if the pbForth implementation would
be smaller, and thus one would have more space for the applications... but
there may be others too!

Smaller? Sergey and I were discussing making the kernel a bit smaller, but
so far my 10x10 maze robot takes up about 4K out of about 13K of application
space. With better coding, I could probably shave about 1.5K off that.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could use up the space in the RCX
easily. 13K is a LOT when you are doing a really embedded system...

Try and write some code for pbForth or LegOS and see how much memory
actually gets used up.

Sorry if I seem like I'm ranting, but I want through a similar
phase in actual Technic construction. If only I had this or that part
then I could build X. In software it's the same thing. If I had 256K
of RAM and  floating point processor, I could do neural nets.....well
the RCX has VERY limited processor power and RAM. I still
think it's an amazing little brick and challenge anyone to build
and program a practical bot that uses all of the memory.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com