 Robotics / 8218
Re: Web Page Update - new syncro/Lego motor internals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:20:07 GMT

And,

They are worth every penny and then some if you are making
a synchro 'bot.  There are alternatives (differentials being one of
the better) but none of them are very easy.  Believe me, I tried for
many months before finally breaking down and buying some turntables.

One word of caution, once you get in the habit of ordering
things from Pitsco, et al. it will be difficult to stop.  Scrounging
for change in the couch cushions so that you can score another set
of worm gears is not unheard of. :)

-Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

Wes Matchett wrote:

I don't have an alternative, but you can buy two turntables from Pitsco for 9.75
- a real bargain in my opinion.  The cost is actually 15.75 - minimum shipping
is 6.00.

I bulk up my orders from them to maximize the shipping cost value.

-Wes

The WordMeister wrote:

The synchro drive looks amazing, and I mistakenly left a printout of Wes's
images where my 4-year-old could find it.

I kept banging my head against the wall with my attempts for a reliable
rack-and-pinion steering system 'bot, and, as I've already half-dismantled
that prototype, thought I might take a breather with a synchro-drive.

However, I don't have those big turntables (and can't really blow $30 to $40
on them). Has anyone tried a similar mechanism without depending on those? I
can _almost_ visualize it, but thought I'd hit the group up for ideas before
digging in this evening.

--Doug Wilcox