 Robotics / 8109
Re: RCX output and Trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 00:25:38 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Chris Osborn) writes:
On Nov. 11 99, 09:42 PST, "Mario Ferrari" <mario.ferrari@edis.it>
wrote:

For this reason you might want to control the train *indirectly*,
using the RCX and a motor to drive a switch connected to an external
supply.

Or just plug the train controller's AC adapter into the RCX and
drive the train directly from the RCX.

I just bought my first LEGO train earlier this week, and actually tried this
experiment.  You can run a train directly off of an RCX motor output.  Just
connect the track's power connector to an RCX motor output instead of to the
train speed controller.

You won't get the same uumph (technical term for "power") out of the RCX as
you will get directly from the speed controller, but the train certainly went
fast enough for my tastes.  And this off a stale set of batteries, no less.

I didn't get a chance to experiment with lower motor speeds to see how well
that works, but you should be able to run the train at variable speeds that
way.  I was able to verify that the train can be run either forward or
backward by reversing the RCX motor direction.

Oh, it also looks as if the AC adapter that comes with the train set is
compatible with the RCX, although I haven't tried this yet.  (They are both
marked "9 - 12 V ~", and the adapter claims to put out 12 VAC.)

Hope this helps!