 Robotics / 8044
Re: Palm Pilot to RCX remote controller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 16:38:23 GMT

Paul,

What you describe as someday is exactly what I am working on. To move the RCX
controlling program off the RCX to a more capable machine where a program written
in an Object Oriented hi level language (Java) does the actual controlling. I
have been successful in doing so with Java program running on PC. I will later be
porting the Java Mindstorm toolkit I have written to Palm. I could then run teh
RCX from the Palm both from the program and manual override using the hardware
buttons.

Paul Speed wrote:

David Walton wrote:

Crossposted to lugnet.robotics.palm

If you interested in the stuff try lugnet.robotics.palm group

I think one of the problems with the built IR is its hard to code
for it as it doesn't obey any standards like IRDA correct me on
this one if anybody knows better

        Ok.  The Palm built in IR does use IRDA.  The RCX does not.
This is where any difficulty comes in.

The range (power) limits the distance it can transmit reliably especially
on the III whose IR transmitter is pathetic.

I have the III upgrade card in my Palm Pro which works OK but still need an
external IR transmitter to control my TV with omniremote

        I get a range of about three to four feet on my Palm III.
When I was still living in my townhouse I could use it as a remote
with my arm outstretched.  Now I actually have to lean forward.
Needless to say, this is more of a novelty than a utility.

        The reason I would like to be able to get the Palm and the
RCX to talk with IR isn't to use it as a remote.  I would like to
extend the brains of my RCX by tapping into the power of the Palm.
I envision having a slot on the top of my 'bot where I can drop
my Palm in IR-Port down and from that point on it would control
the 'bot.

        Someday, :)
        -Paul (pspeed@progeeks.com, http://www.progeeks.com/)

--

Regards,
Farrukh

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii;
     name="najmi.vcf"