 Robotics / 776
775  |  777
Subject:
Straightening wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:16:18 GMT

I've been lurking on this list since about the beginning, so I thought it was
about time I said something...

A while back, people were asking how to get a robot to straighten its wheels
after turning, and I came up with a possible solution.  I have no idea if this
would work, or even how to implement it at this time, but here it is.

My solution requires the use of the multiple states of the motor (ON, OFF, and
FLOAT), and a spring (I'm thinking of the type that comes with the space
shuttle).  When the wheels are centered, the spring would be completely
uncompressed.  Then whenever the wheels are turned in either direction, the
spring would be compressed.  In order to stay turned, put the motor into the
OFF mode.  When you want it to return to the center, put the motor in the
FLOAT mode.  I think that a) the motor is strong enough against the force of
the spring when in OFF, and b) the spring would have enough force to move back
to the center when the motor is FLOATing.

Like I said, I have not been able to try this out, since I'm not sure how to
implement it.  I'm going to work on it over the next couple of days and see
if I can figure out a way to make it work.  If anyone else can get this to
work, I'd like to here about it.

Titus Anderson
University of Louisville - Information Technology