 Robotics / 7694
RE: Pneumatics and the RCX -how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:05:24 GMT

There are other models of pneumatic LEGO hexapods on the web already that
use linkage for the foward/reverse motion as well as a single large
cylinder for each legs vertical motion.
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm#3
and
http://home.concepts.nl/~bvandam/pneum2.htm
are a couple nice examples which inspired me to build this beast.
Using one cylinder within the leg structure almost works but the hose
connections
always seem to get in the way. Also, the bot may need to be considerably
lighter or the leg
geometry changed to a shorter/stronger stroke somehow in order to carry
it's own weight.
There are lots of possibilities though. :-)
What would really be neat is to use the RCX to control the gate of legs and
gain some
directional control.

-- Doug

There are a few pictures and a short MPG movie at :

http://www.net-info.com/~dcarlson/pnwalker.htm

WOW! This is a really inventive application of pneumatics. I wonder
if the number of mini-cylinders could be reduced by 10 by only using 1
on each leg (use 1/2 beams for bracing outside the cylinder) and maybe
using single cylinders and links for moving the legs?

The basic design has a wonderful symmetry that makes it look like it
should work. This is a basic requirement for many robots - if it looks right
it probably is.

Anyways, my tendency is to try to reduce a design to bare essentials once
it is working - but since it's your design, I'll leave it to you!

Great work!!!!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>