 Robotics / 7588
Re: Pneumatics and the RCX -how?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:53:03 GMT

I have been searching for the answer to this one for a while. My intent is
to find a supplier who has small electrically operated (solenoid) valves which
can be driven by the RCX output(s).

I have found one so far, but the valves are very pricy. But I haven't given
up!

I do intend to find an alternative to driving the lego valves using a motor.
That is simply a waste of energy. I have built lead screws around 10/32 nylon
studding which convert motor output into linear motion, much like the drive
from a pneumatic cylinder. They are hugely powerful and demolish designs which
fail to provide adequate limit switches! But there is something very
charismatic
about robot designs which use pneumatic parts, and thus my quest!

If I am successful, I assure you, I will publish!

JB

I know that some of you use pneumatics for yuor robots. How do you do that?
I suppose you use a compressor and a motor to change the valve, but that
requires two motors and 2 is all that come with the MindStorms. Yes, I can
buy more, but I´d like to know how you use the elements, make them work, and
how you use the motors.

Thanks
--Tobias