 Robotics / 7691
7690  |  7692
Subject:
RCX Mower (was RCX with AC power - Still Available)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 18:35:26 GMT

You wouldn't necessarily have to map the lawn. Just let it go around randomly.
A purely random algorithm would have a tendency to miss corners, though. You
could do something random, but add a bias of some kind to help it get the
corners of your yard.

Also, make sure you have some kind of detectable border between your grass and
your flower beds!

Finally, search LUGNET for lawn mowers--someone posted a URL to their RCX
mower prototype a while back.

"James C. Jones" wrote:

Also - I have been toying with the ideal of building a solar-powered
robotic mower - using a weed-eater styled cutter (with blade).  But how
would I teach it the map of the lawn area.  With battery and solar panel,
it could just cut continously during the day, and of course I wouldn' have
to mow so much..... Thoughts?
'thanks

James C. Jones
Liberty Middle School