 Robotics / 7676
Re: It works! iMac and RIS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 23:32:00 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, gwilson@apple.com (Greg Wilson) writes:
I've seen a lot of "it *should* work" or "it *might* work" type of
postings, but nothing specific indicating that you really can use the
Lego Mindstorms RIS on an iMac using Virtual PC. I got it to work, and I
thought I ought to post the configuration for the record:

* Original 233Mhz iMac, MacOS 8.5
* Virtual PC 2.0 + Windows 95
* Momentum uConnect USB->9-pin serial port converter
* Lego RIS 1.0
* Dave Hyland's Mindstorms patch (obtained from Dave Baum's website at
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/)

That's great news!

[...]
I believe that many people have expressed a wish that Lego would offer a
version of the RIS software for the Mac (I know about the RoboLab
software, but the general public likely does not), and I'd add my voice
to that.  [...]

Speaking of RoboLab, Ben Erwin had a table at MindFest past this weekend with
several demo-arrangements of RoboLab.  I'd known from the screenshots that it
was pretty nice, but being able to talk to Ben and ask questions and actually
see the drag & drop on-screen was quite a different experience.  I was totally
blown away by it.

I have no idea what TLG's plans are for RoboLab other than their current
involvement in it via DACTA (I think), but rather than placing the traditional
RIS software on the Mac, it sure would be nice if TLG instead licensed
RoboLab, both for the Mac and the PC, and threw out the garbage that they
ship with the RIS now.  It seemed like RoboLab was exactly what the standard
default RIS software always should have been, but TLG totally missed the mark.

Does Lego monitor this mailing list, or is there somewhere I can post a
request like this directly to Lego?

The level of TLG's involvement online isn't really known, but it is known
that at least some employees monitor the online groups in some capacity.

Here is a very interesting thread on that subject from 3-4 days ago:

   http://www.lugnet.com/general/?n=8809

--Todd