 Robotics / 7659
7658  |  7660
Subject:
It works! iMac and RIS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 19:20:39 GMT

I've seen a lot of "it *should* work" or "it *might* work" type of
postings, but nothing specific indicating that you really can use the
Lego Mindstorms RIS on an iMac using Virtual PC. I got it to work, and I
thought I ought to post the configuration for the record:

* Original 233Mhz iMac, MacOS 8.5
* Virtual PC 2.0 + Windows 95
* Momentum uConnect USB->9-pin serial port converter
* Lego RIS 1.0
* Dave Hyland's Mindstorms patch (obtained from Dave Baum's website at
http://www.enteract.com/~dbaum/lego/)

That's it! The uConnect device makes the connection to the IR tower
simple and clean. The system is a teeny bit slow, but very much usable.
I expect that a newer iMac (such as the new 400Mhz DV model) would work
even better. This setup may also run better with Virtual PC 3.0, Mac OS
9.0, and/or Windows 98. But the above is what I'm currently using, and
it all works just great.

I believe that many people have expressed a wish that Lego would offer a
version of the RIS software for the Mac (I know about the RoboLab
software, but the general public likely does not), and I'd add my voice
to that. I also would like to put in a request for a USB version of the
IR tower: the fact that the IR tower could be powered via the USB
connection would eliminate the need for the 9v battery in the tower.
Most new PCs have USB connectors, so both PCs and Macs would be able to
connect directly to it.

Does Lego monitor this mailing list, or is there somewhere I can post a
request like this directly to Lego?

-Greg Wilson
Mindstorms owner
FLL team coach